Students living in on-campus housing that are going to participate in an on-campus organization such as a fraternity or sorority are required to participate in the Residential On-Campus Meal Plan. Since some fraternities and sororities also have their own mandatory meal plans, the University and Bama Dining allow members of these organizations, serving a minimum of 10 meals per week, the option of choosing an Essential Plan, which provides 55 Block meals and 25 retail meals per semester.
Students who are a returning member of a fraternity or sorority community that requires another meal plan with 10 or more meals per week may reduce their meal contract to the Essential Plan. These returning students that choose to reduce their meal plan must do so in myBama by Thursday, July 29 by 11:59 p.m. CST.
Students who are a new member of a fraternity or sorority community that requires another meal plan with 10 or more meals per week will have their meal plan downgraded to an Essential meal plan once UA Dining Services receives the new membership list from the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Greek Organizations are responsible for sending new member lists to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life no later than September 30th for the fall semester and February 15th for the spring semester. Downgrades will be processed by the following week. Students are responsible for reviewing their student financial account to verify downgrades. No downgrades will be made for members submitted after the dates above. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Students subject to the On-Campus Residential Meal Plan who do not accept a bid or deactivate from the organization, are required to notify the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life to reinstate your All Access/Silver 125 meal plan.
- How we will credit the original All Access/Silver 125 plan to your account:
- When Dining Services receives the bid list (provided by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life), all students with an active All Access or Silver 125 meal plan are downgraded to the Essential meal plan automatically. Any meal swipes used prior to the downgrade will be subtracted from the original 55 swipes in the Essential plan.
- Each student on the bid list will receive a credit for the All Access meal plan or Silver 125 on their student account. This will result in a net charge on the student account of $0.00 for the All Access or Silver 125 meal plan. The Essential meal plan charge will be applied to the student account.
- The credit for the difference between the All Access/Silver 125 meal plan and the Essential meal plan will be applied to any outstanding balance due on the student financial account. If the student has no outstanding balance, the credit will be applied to the credit card that was last used on the student account up to the amount previously charged. If a credit card was not used to pay on the student account a direct deposit will be processed.
- Please check your student financial account to verify the status of your account as no downgrades will be made after the set deadlines.
** Students are responsible for confirming the meal plan downgrade on
their student account. **